The error-checking tool is used to scan a drive for errors and, if possible, correct or delete corrupted file bits.
- Right-click on the Start icon, then left-click on “File Explorer”
- Click to select icon for the flash drive, it may be called “Removable Disk” or have the name of the manufacturer, or it may just be called “USB Drive”
- Right-click on the flash drive icon, then left-click on “Properties”
- On the Properties dialog, click on the “Tools” tab
- On the “Tools” tab, in the first section under “Error-checking” click on the “Check Now…” button
- Windows may not initially detect errors. Ignore this notification and click on “Scan and repair drive”
- Once the error-check has completed click on the “Close” button
- Click on “OK” to close the Property Sheet
- Right-click on the flash drive icon, then left-click on “Eject…” to safely remove the drive.